|Acorn Pincushion pattern by Susie's Sunroom|
Acorn Block # SS01: click here for a paper pieced pattern - a 3 1/2 " square block
|Acorn pincushion acorn design by Susie @ Susie's Sunroom|
Basic Tutorial of how I made my little Acorn Pincushion:
Dimensions: 3 1/2 inches x 3 1/2 inches x 2 inches high
Fabrics: fall colors -various scraps ( from my Tumbling Leaves table runner ) Tic Tac by Andover
background fabric- for top and bottom pattern
Side gusset: cut piece 14 in long x 2 1/2 in wide
Stuffing: polyfil or ground walnut shell kitty litter (I use Blue Buffalo)
- The top and the bottom of the pincushion are the 3 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in acorn blocks.
- Make a top and bottom acorn block. Remove the paper from the back after completion of the block.
- The side is a gusset , which is sewn to the top section first. Before sewing, I laid it out and pinned the gusset to the outer edges of this acorn block, RST aligning raw edges, so I could see where to sew the gusset ends together. There are corners where you can "give and take" or round off or add a little pleat, to make it fit. Just plan ahead! Attach the gusset all the way around , after having adjusted the length and sewing the ends together to make a loop.
- Then I pinned and sewed the bottom block to the remaining raw edge of the gusset. LEAVE a 2 inch opening for stuffing the pincushion.
- Turn the pincushion right side out, press it a little, and fill it. I use a funnel to add my crushed walnut shells, propping it up inside of a Rubbermaid container (to catch any spilling!) (I do spill a lot!)
- After it is nice and plump , ladder stitch or slip stitch the opening to close it.
Please note: in the picture above, you may notice some pieced sections in the body of the acorn (brown-gold color A and B). This is because I patched my scraps together to make it big enough to sew with. ( I am saving that fabric for something bigger to make later!)
|A is one piece of fabric in the pattern. B is also one piece of fabric|
|Acorn Pincushion Acorn Pattern by Susie @ Susie's Sunroom|
I had fun making a little seasonal pincushion, and would love to know if anybody makes one of their own!
Email me and let me know. (I can add a Flickr group if we get a few to share!)
And email me with any questions or if you discovered any errors...
I am linking up to~
Amy, my sister, suggested that I enter my Tumbling Leaves table runner in the Quilting Gallery's Fall's Glory Quilts Vote and Giveway this week. If you click HERE, it will take you to Quilting Gallery and you can look at all of this week's entries for Fall's Glory quilts. You can vote for up to 3 quilts that you like the best. I am the last entry... at the end.
- Voting is open Friday to Monday, October 7, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. (EDT)
|Tumbling Leaves table runner at Quilting Gallery Fall's Glory Quilts|