This week, I decided to make some Halloween trick-or -treat bags for my great niece and great nephews, who happen to be triplets! This is their first Halloween in which they know that they are dressing up and going to get candy.
I got my inspiration from a tutorial on Cluck Cluck Sew.com , called Easy Treat Bag Tutorial.
The tutorial gave me the dimensions for a toddler sized bag of 11" wide by 13" tall.
I made a few changes to her directions:
- I used Halloween fabrics, so added Pellon Fusible Fleece 987 to the front and back outer pieces , for strength and shape
- I used a 1 1/4 inch strip of PFF 987 on the handles, to give strength
|Pellon Fusible Fleece 987 I LOVE THIS STUFF!|
- I appliqued the felt shapes on to the fronts of the bags, using Heat n Bond lite (therm-o-web) iron -on adhesive. Then I used my sewing machine blanket stitch to outline the shapes.
|Applique with blanket stitch|
- I made the boxed corners, for the bottom of the bag, slightly smaller
- I basted the handles to the front and back, THEN sewed the front and back pieces together.
|The handles are basted on to the outer pieces|
- I put right sides together , by placing the lining (right side out) inside of the outer bag pieces (fleece side out and handles tucked inside between lining and bag pieces)
|Turning the bag inside out- the fun part!!|
|All ready to fill!|
|Black cat. My kitty, Whiskers, really runs like this when she plays!|
Then came the REALLY FUN part! My family came for a visit and I gave the kids their bags.
|Alex, Andrew and Jack holding their bags|
|I'm off to my sewing room!|
|Couldn't resist putting in this TRIPLETS AND Whiskers picture!|